We’ve changed our name! Formerly the Lalor Living & Learning Centre, we are now the Lalor Neighbourhood House! We are still offering all our wonderful courses in English and Computers but we also offer many other wonderful community activities and opportunities – so we have changed our name to better reflect that!
Lalor Neighbourhood House is a not-for-profit incorporated association. The association is made up of members who are local people who support the aims and purposes of the association. Each year, the members elect a Committee of Governance who are responsible for overseeing the organisation. The role of the Committee includes making sure the organisation is working towards its vision and purpose, setting strategic goals, financial oversight and appointing the Manager.
To be a welcoming, safe and happy space where you learn, connect and make friendships within a culturally diverse community.
Our Purpose is to:
- Nurture community connections, create opportunity, promote equity and challenge disadvantage
- Transform lives with the power of learning, skills & knowledge sharing
- Bring the community together to create a healthy and sustainable local environment
- Engage in friendship, fun and creativity.
Lalor Neighbourhood House brings the following core values to everything we do:
- Community led.
- We champion inclusion, equity and strive for a sustainable environment.
Committee of Governance
To enquire about membership please contact the office. Those people unable to be members of the association (for example, paid staff, people under the age of 18) are welcome to be a Friend of Lalor Neighbourhood House.
Each year, the members elect a Committee of Governance who are responsible for overseeing the organisation. The role of the Committee includes making sure the organisation is working towards its vision and purpose, setting strategic goals, financial oversight and appointing the Manager.
The Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Centre which includes staffing, planning, regulatory compliance, programs & activities, marketing and interaction with external bodies. The Manager also advises, supports and reports to the Committee.
The association reports to a number of regulatory bodies each year.
Follow these links to read:
- Our Lalor Neighbourhood House – Annual Report 2022-2023
- our Lalor Living and Learning Centre – Annual Report 2021-2022
- our Lalor Living and Learning Centre – Annual Report 2020-21
- our Lalor Living and Learning – Annual Report 2019-20
- our Annual Report 2019 (Lalor LLC inc), and
- our Financial Statements for 2019 as well.
The current members of the Committee of Governance are:
Rosa Harrison — President
Rosa Harrison — Secretary
Leanne Wright — Treasurer
- Abbey Ali — Ordinary Member
- Alita D’Souza — Ordinary Member
- Connie Diaz — Ordinary Member
- Kris Pavlidis — Ordinary Member
- Renjith Thomas — Ordinary Member
- Susan Perkins — Ordinary Member
- Thinanta (May) Mahisaksophon — Ordinary Member
The Committee is always on the lookout for new members who can add their professional skills and life experience to the Centre. All Committee members are volunteers and meet monthly throughout the year.
Child Safety Statement of Commitment
Lalor Neighbourhood House Inc. is committed to child safety.
All students (and children) under eighteen (18) years of age who are supported by Lalor Living and Learning Centre Inc. have a right to feel and be safe. We want children to be safe, happy and empowered. We support and respect all children and young people. We are committed to the safety, participation and empowerment of all children and young people.
We promote diversity and tolerance, and people from all walks of life and cultural backgrounds are welcome. In particular we:
- Promote the cultural safety, participation and empowerment of Aboriginal children and young people;
- Promote the cultural safety, participation and empowerment of children and young people from
- Culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds; and
- Ensure that children and young people with a disability are safe and can participate equally.
We have zero tolerance of child abuse, and all allegations and safety concerns will be treated very seriously and consistently with our robust policies and procedures. We have legal and moral obligations to contact authorities when we are worried about a child’s safety, which we follow rigorously.
Lalor Neighbourhood House Inc. is committed to preventing child abuse and identifying risks early, and removing and reducing these risks. We have robust human resources and recruitment practices for all personnel and committed to regularly training and education our personnel on child abuse risks.
Click to view full Child Safety Policy